Thursday, July 5, 2012

the essence of success


                As we grow older, we will soon realize our priorities in life. Sometimes they change or they remain the same. But as it seems, they change, most of the time.

                Being older may not necessarily mean we are wiser. We may still make random and idiotic acts, for even if we are old, there’s still that child within hoping to come out. As time passes by, we may start to realize thought that things are not as it used to be. It’s either you become so ambitious or you be resigned to the fact that some of the things you want may not happen at all. It will all vary depending on a person’s outlook and perspective. But the second one works most for me.

                I used to be in always dreamy state when I was younger (though categorically speaking, I am still not too old). I always think that I can get the golden pot at the end of the rainbow and I always look forward to stepping on the greener pastures. Back then, I thought, success comes easy to those who work hard for it. At the end though, that’s far from reality. Success comes of course, depending on what’s your perception of the word success.

                What is success then? How do we gauge if we are already that fulfilled one? Does money always count?  If I am well-known, given a high position, and achieved a number of recognition, does that make me qualified as a successful and fulfilled person?

                Before I thought of success as being famous, well-paid, and most looked up to. To my surprise, those words are not the same things I strive for nowadays to be considered successful. True, it feels great and elating if you are the rich and the intelligent (with all those awards and citations, so forth and so on), but it will not always be tantamount to being successful, nor happy. In fact, many people who’ve climbed up the ladder are not truly fulfilled, because they felt that something is missing. Thus, being successful does not guarantee that life will be the nirvana that you always want it to be.

                For what is success if you find life meaningless? What is success if life becomes a habit, a repetition of the things you do? Even if you live life well, if life is hollow and empty, what will I do with success?

                You may argue or agree with me. But as for me, a life that is happy and successful is one in which you find what you loved doing most; you do it with passion and excellence, so that life will be meaningful. In addition to that, life will be made more beautiful, if you spend it with people you love the most. I won’t mind living a simple life if that means I will be able to spend more time with my family, or that will mean finding that person whom I can spend my eternity with. At the end of the day, what is fame or riches if you are left lonely? I will trade all my cards and even give up success if that means I will live life more meaningfully because I have those persons that make my life worth waking up and worth  living.

                Sometimes it’s just so unfair though that we judge a person’s success just by what he/she has achieved in life. If a person has attained recognition, well and good. But we should never ever look down on a person just because he has none of those. If I may be allowed to choose, I’d rather have a simple life where I can do what I want  but still be happy, rather than be famous and rich, but cannot even spare time to do things which will make me live life to the fullest. It’s only the person himself who has the right to say if he has become successful, after having set his priorities and be able to live or to achieve it.

                Thus, I end this with a call to look examine our hearts closely, and listen to the voice that speaks within. Now is not the time to be slaves to what other people may say. We are the masters of our fate, the captain of our souls. No one can ever truly say what will make our life well- lived. Find out what you want to do and to be, and live life according to that goal. No matter how simply that goal of yours maybe, if you followed your heart and feel self-fulfillment, then at the end, it’s a success. We don’t have to compare what we have done with others just to call ourselves successful, it’s all up to you.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment